Thursday, August 26, 2004

Here

Finally here!

I am at my new job in Gettysburg. I have a real office and a real life finally. This place is in the mountains. No one told me that. What is the deal with these things? Driving here it was up and and up and down. There was no point to it. Ok you are on a mountain or by a mountain, but I never thought about what being in the mountains is like.

It is the Gettysburg of the Gettysburg Address and battle of the same name. I don't want to seem impertinent but it is rather a nuisance having a cemetary surrounding you.

You may be hearing about the College in the news soon. There is an 'artist' lynching a Confederate flag next week which has resulted in a charming group of people promising to visit us. Apparently the college is already out a couple hundred grand for extra security.

I can't say I disagree with my collegues about having the exhibit and not allowing some thugs to intimidate us. Still there is something that doesn't sit well with me. I mean, it is the feeling that we are somehow making some heroic statement. All this talk about 'the artist feels that it is essential to the integrety of his work that the display...." I mean, how much guts does it take to come out against lynching on the campus of a liberal arts college in 2004?


No comments: