Sunday, July 03, 2022

Clarence Thomas' Conservatism has its Roots in Black Nationalism 

This is a great article by Musa Al Garibhi, a liberal, on the thought of Clarence Thomas, who, Garibhi explains, started out as a black nationalist and ended up a conservative Republican. These are not opposites but, in Thomas' case, kindred ideologies. What connects them is a disdain for charity of the white man. 

There is a lot to learn from black nationalism and the thought of Malcolm X. When I was in Chicago I lived around the corner from Louis Farakan's house. There were a lot of his followers in the neighborhood. They weren't especially friendly but you didn't see anyone dealing drugs on the street corners of Farrakhan's neighborhood. 

I met one of his followers and I can't remember his name but we became pretty good friends. He was the drummer in a jazz band I was in. He was pretty good. Anyway, I found out he was a Muslim by accident. I was sitting in his car, I think I saw him sitting in his car as I was walking down the street in Winter and he invited me in to get warm. Anyway, his teenage daughter was sitting in the back seat and I extended my hand to shake hands with her and she said she doesn't do that. And her Father explained that she did not shake hands with men because of our religion. It was a pleasant chat and I wish I had stayed in touch with him. 

I think of this when people say that we have to learn to love each other to get along in civil society. I don't suppose that loving each other would do any harm, but I don't think it is necessary or even advisable. The Nation of Islam is officially not in love with the US or white people, but I would rather have them as neighbors than the one I have now. (In fact, the Nation of Islam is officially hostile to Jews, which all the black people in Hyde Park assumed I was on account of I have curly hair and I am so smart.)

What is needed is mutual respect. One can dislike the Nation of Islam and Farrakhan and Malcolm X, but one must respect them. Not the put-on, pat on the head, I'm a nice person kind of respect but real respect. The kind of respect that is commanded by the other's accomplishments, pulling themselves up while disdaining the proffered help of white liberals. And the kind of respect that comes in a real measure from fear, which is the only sure and honest ground of respect. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an ethnic jew, I will not respect those that do not respect me. That doesn’t mean I will be hostile towards them but it does mean I want nothing to do with them. Any group built on hating another group is not something I will ever respect.

Michael Reinhard said...

Well, I can kind of give the Nation of Islam as pass for being built on dislike of white people. Their attitude toward Jews is another matter given how supportive the Jews were in the civil rights movement. It is very troubling.